Friday, July 23, 2010

Using Bug Spray for Nannies and Au Pairs

Yesterday we discussed the link between pesticides and ADHD. Despite the dangers of pesticides, there are also plenty of dangers caused by being bitten by bugs. We summarize an article by CBS News on proper use of bug spray below.

The Centers for Disease Control warns about the dangers of the West Nile virus, which is spread through mosquito bites. And of course Lyme disease is caused by the deer tick.

The Centers for Disease Control advise using a repellent that contains the pesticide DEET.

Properly applying insect repellent:
  • Cover All Exposed Areas
  • Avoid Cuts, Wounds and Rashes
  • Don't Spray Directly On Face
  • Wash Hands

Never spray bug repellent directly on your face. First spray it onto your hands and then gently rub it over the entire face, including the ears and neck. And don't forget to wash your hands when you're done applying. You don't want to ingest any DEET.

Children and Bug Spray

The best concentration to use on children is 10 percent DEET. Never apply higher doses than 10 percent DEET on children.

Here are tips on applying repellent on children:

  • Never Apply Bug Repellent on Children Under 2- Months of Age
  • Never Allow Child To Apply Bug Repellent
  • Do not apply repellent to children's hands. (Children may tend to put their hands in their mouths.)
  • Also Avoid Mouth and Eyes
  • Don't Apply Under Clothing

If the repellent does get on the clothing, make sure it's washed before the child wears the article of clothing again.

To see entire article please click here.

Tomorrow: How to Make Herbal Bug Repellent

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this great topic! I get bit by bugs all the time, and hate all the bug sprays I've ever used. I try to just use the candles but the smell bothers me.
Someone told me to use dryer sheets. I put them in my pockets and in my socks, I did look a little silly, but I guess the bugs don't like the scent. I used it and it did work! Of course, not sure how safe dryer sheets are either...
~Andrea - Nanny in NJ

AuPairDebbie said...

I must carry an Epi Pen for my charge that is allergic to bees.

Tobago Nanny said...

I've always been told to spray the clothes. Use as much sunscreen as possible but as little bug repellent as possible. Spray THE OUTSIDE of clothing helps.

Anonymous said...

Seriously even bug spray doesn't seem to work for me. I attract mosquitoes. My Mom Boss has Lyme's Disease since we live in the northeast with woods for the backyard. Please, tuck pants into socks. Cover as much of body with buy spray and spray it on outside of clothes. Check children for ticks!

Lisa S. Montclair NJ

Steph 6 said...

Dryer sheets rip my hands to shreds Andrea. But prefer that to bug bites! Putting them in pockets isn't hard to do. Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

Safe Tick and Fly Spray

Combine 2 cups white vinegar, 1cup Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil, 1 cup water, 1tablespoon eucalyptus oil (available at drug stores and health food stores).

Yvonne
Yosemite

Unknown said...

finding an effective best bug spray for home can really make the summer much more fun. I haven't had any issues since I found this great product