Monday, December 2, 2013

Are the Kids in Your Care at a Healthy Weight?

Studies Suggest that Smaller Bowls May Keep Kids from Overeating

Are you like me and if you have milk left in your cereal bowl you keep adding more cereal to use up the milk? In my battle to lose weight I know firsthand that when I use a larger cereal bowl for breakfast I eat more cereal and when I am served meals on large plates in restaurants I eat more.

Now some small studies published online on November 18 in the Journal of Pediatrics show that using smaller bowls for meals may keep children from overeating as well.

In one of the studies researchers gave 8- or 16-ounce bowls to 69 preschoolers. Adults then served the children cereal and milk in increments until the children said they'd had enough. Children with the larger bowls asked for 87 percent more cereal and milk.

In a second experiment, 18 elementary school students were given smaller or larger bowls. Secret scales were embedded within the tables to weigh each child's serving and to determine how much the children ate. Those with larger bowls asked for 69 percent more cereal and milk, and ate 52 percent more than those with smaller bowls.

Here is a link for information on how to help keep kids a healthy weight.

Reference: Healthyliving.msn.com

No comments: