Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Children's Birthdays Remind Me that I'm a Year Closer to Having to Find a New Job

Nanny Confessions

I confess, I am sad that my youngest charge has another birthday coming up.

Although I am thrilled to see her developing into a confident, curious, intelligent, social, and happy little girl -- every time she has a birthday it reminds me that I am one year closer to having to find a new nanny job.

I confess, if I had it my way I would stay working for the same family until the kids are well into high school. I would rather change my job description to include more duties such as cooking, being a personal assistant, personal shopper, and cleaning the home rather than having to go through a job search.

Transitioning into a new nanny job is always stressful. It’s hard to learn each child’s favorite songs, games, and activities. It can be even harder bonding with the children the first few days and weeks on the job.

So, I confess, I want to stay at my current nanny job as long as possible so I don’t have to find and start a new job. Each time a child left in my charge celebrates another birthday it is a bittersweet moment in which I am proud of the child, but sad that they are getting older as well.

No comments: