Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Do Your Thoughts Help or Hinder You?

Changing the Way You Talk to Yourself Will Help you Succeed at Work

The way you look at a situation dramatically affects your attitude. Have you ever stopped to listen to the way you talk to yourself? While working, have you ever said to yourself, "I don't get paid for this kind of abuse!"? How does such a thought affect your attitude and your behavior? Do your thoughts help or hinder you?

In the book, Dealing with People You Can't Stand, Dr. Rick Brinkman and Dr. Rick Kirschner explain that just as what you think has an effect on what you say, so does what you say to yourself influence what you think. When you change the way you talk to yourself about a problem, you change the way you think about it at the same time.

The authors recommend that you take charge over the things you say to yourself. Become conscious of the things you tell yourself and substitute positive, supportive thoughts for negative ones. As you listen to your internal dialogue, make sure that your language helps you to get where you want to go.

Affirmations are positive statements of a desired outcome or goal. They are usually short, believable and focused. By repeating them over and over again, you will become happier and more successful.

You must learn to speak purposefully to yourself to change your attitude for the better. You can develop a few quick-draw mental comments that help you to keep your sense of humor and perspective around difficulties. Here are some great things to say to yourself:

"When I believe in myself, so do others."
"I am passionate about my career."
"I am a great influence on the kids."
"It's going to be a great day."
"At work, my mind is focused and I have clarity in all that I do."
"I am doing a great job."
"I can accomplish anything I set my mind to."
"My work is deeply fulfilling."
"Any experience I can learn from is a good one."
"I can become flexible."
"Anything is possible."
"This used to bother me, not anymore!"
"I am proud of myself."
"I am making a difference."
"I am happy and grateful."
"I have no regrets."
"I love doing a great job."
"My work fulfils and enriches me."
"I am doing a great job at helping raise happy, loving, strong, healthy, and successful children."
"I am an expert in childcare."
"I am a great nanny."

Also remember, an occasional attitude adjustment frees you from the stress and leads to success as you bring out the best in people at their worst.

Reference:

Dealing with People You Can't Stand, Revised and Expanded Third Edition: How to Bring Out the Best in People at Their Worst

No comments: